Monday 16 February 2015

Snowdrop Sunday

Every February, in the next village, the church hosts a little fund-raising event called "Snowdrop Sunday". Well it used to be just the Sunday, but it has proved to be so popular that they open on Saturday and Sunday now.

After a visit to the"Big Guy" on Sunday, we headed over to Chelveston to view the carpet of Snowdrops and Aconites

 Its a tiny village, but a well supported church.
yellow aconites along the footpath approach

 Where we bumped into several people to chat too....


And as you approach the building there is a hint of what's to come



It was quite cold and misty


But so peaceful (even though there were hoards of visitors!)


 With thousands of these little darlings bobbing their heads in the breeze



The volunteers serve hundreds of cups of tea and plates of cake, but we went for a home-made soup and roll for £1.50!! (Delicious!) 


 And we met up with so many people that we haven't seen for ages.

Then back out to take more pics.


I think that one more week would have seen more flowers in bloom and less buds. This will look like a carpet of snow shortly.


 And a pause for thought at the loss of so many young men


My Mum remembered the USAF base here during WW2 and how all the young girls visited the dances that they held, and accepted stockings and make up and things that had not been seen since war broke out


Each year many ex servicemen re-visit the local area and have supported the church keenly.

 The churchyard has many different varieties of this little flower but I still love the simple single ones
A double variety
 It's a pretty little church in an idyllic setting, shame there was not a clearer sky.


I shall head over there again later in the week to see the change. I will take more pics and hopefully let you know how much money they raised.


And when we got home, I just needed to add the binding to my "Plus" Quilt.

The machine kept skipping stitches, so I gave it a bit of a sort out and I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed of this little lot!

I really do clean her out on a regular basis. Every project - HONEST!  Got enough here to fill a cushion!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful snowdrops! Must have been lovely to see. As for the the sewing machine.......mmmmm , well!! Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little snowdrops are just adorable, makes me wonder how many years it took to get that beautiful carpet. It always amazes me just how much fluff ends up in the machine after what feels like just a few hours of sewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely snowdrops. My machine tends to look like yours though I do clean it out regularly - honest!!

    ReplyDelete